General government expenditure on health as a percentage of total government expenditure is 9.4 percent in the UAE, as of 2013, according to the Nutrition Landscape Information System by the WHO. Apart from getting medical insurance, it is also necessary to take care of your health on a daily basis, and an easy way to do this is by eating right.
Eat Healthy, Be Healthy
One of the two most important things that affect your health on a daily basis is what you eat and your level of physical activity. Listed below are five healthy eating habits that you can follow.
- Eat a variety of nutrient rich foods – You need 40 different types of nutrients and no single food can provide them all. Therefore, you need to add variety to your diet to get the required nutrients. You must include bread and other whole grain products, vegetables, fruits, as well as meat, fish, poultry and other protein rich foods. The amount you must include in your diet depends on your calorie requirements.
- Enjoy plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetable – It is necessary for each individual to have a daily portion of whole grains, fruits and vegetable, with the quantities based on various physical factors, such as age, height and required calorie intake, and so on. You can use a food guide pyramid for reference.
- Maintain a healthy weight – The right weight for you depends on a host of factors, such as your gender, height, age and heredity. Excess body fat increases the risk of many diseases, such as high blood pressure, heart diseases, stroke, diabetes and many types of cancer. Stroke and other critical illnesses are generally covered under medical insurance but nobody wants to experience them in the first place. If you are too fat or too thin, you need to consult a dietician for proper weight management.
- Eat regular meals and moderate portions – Eating regular meals and moderate portions keeps you full and satiated. On the other hand, skipping meals can lead to overeating at one time and eating nothing at all at other times, which in turn can have an adverse effect on your health in the long-run.
- Know your diet pitfalls and make changes gradually – Assess your diet and know what is missing. However, you must be ready to revamp your eating habits overnight as it can get in the way of success. Start with modest changes by eliminating the deficiencies and gradually increase the portions.
Apart from making lifestyle changes and changes in your eating habits, it is also essential to cover yourself with the right medical insurance. It keeps you protected from financial crises during periods of medical emergency.