Did you know that the first hair removal cream was said to have been made in 3000BC with arsenic trisulfide, quicklime and starch? Ancient Egyptian women were said to have made this paste on their arms and legs in order to adhere to the beauty mandates of the time. However, a trend that has survived through centuries is not just an unaltered beauty standard, but also a hygiene practice. Given that the Middle Eastern climate is conducive to propagation of bacteria and transfer of germs, it has been a stringent practice to remove body hair since ancient times to reduce chances of infections. Underarm hair removal for instance, in hotter climates is imperative as it prevents sweat from getting trapped in the hair and lessens chances of skin irritation. Given the sensitivity of the area, one needs to careful about one’s choice of depilatory technique.
Facts About Underarm Hair Removal
- Hair in the underarm region grows in two different directions. Therefore you need to remove it in two different stages for each different direction of growth, no matter what your method.
- When you shave your underarm hair, 1/3 of what is in your razor is the top layer of skin. Although the skin rejuvenates itself naturally, regular shaving can result in damaged skin with minute nicks and cuts that can cause skin irritation.
- Shaving and plucking can lead to darkening of skin under the arm. It can also cause what is known as keratosis pilaris popularly referred to as chicken skin. It is best to avoid these techniques of hair removal in order to prevent damage to the delicate skin.
- It is important to exfoliate even if you are using a hair removal cream in order to avoid ingrown hair. While one kind of ingrown happen because the hair grows into the skin instead of out of the pore, the other occurs when the follicle grows sideways into the skin due to hardened dead cells blocking the pore. Therefore it is important to exfoliate before underarm hair removal using a gentle loofah.
- When removing underarm hair with a hair removal cream it is important to choose a quality product such as Veet® Suprem’Essence Hair Removal Cream – Legs & Body – Normal/Dry Skin which is enriched with natural oils and scented with Velvet Rose. Secondly, one must not exceed the application time mentioned in the packaging. It is important to check this for each product as it may differ from one to another.