In the hot and humid climatic conditions of the Middle East, high fevers and infections are bound to occur every now and then. That is why the health care sector is always a priority for every GCC country. Saudi Arabia, being the top spender on health care, set aside 18.6% of the total budget for 2015 for health care.
With the Hajj season around the corner, health care is a matter of prime concern in the Kingdom. Especially for children, it is much more important to take the necessary precautions to protect them from various diseases. Keep an eye out for symptoms like high temperature in children. This can indicate that there is an underlying infection that needs to be treated.
Fever, in most cases, occurs because of minor infections like a cough or cold. But if the symptoms last long, then there is a definite need to consult a doctor.
What Causes High Temperature in Children?
The body raises its core temperature to kill an underlying virus or bacteria, making fever a useful natural reaction. Here are a few infections that lead to the temperature of a child’s body rising:
- Viral infections can lead to an increase in the body’s temperature, causing fever. One of the most common fever causing viral infection is the cold. Respiratory infections like chicken pox can also lead to fever.
- Bacterial infections, like a sore throat, can also lead to fever. These are a little more serious in nature and need to be treated as soon as possible with antibiotics. This infection can have long term impacts, like heart damage, if left untreated for a long time.
- Allergic reactions can also cause fever in children. For example, even an allergic reaction to a vaccination can lead to high temperatures.
- Teething is one of the major causes of fever in infants.
Various Indicators of Fever in Children
- High temperature
- Restlessness and irritability
- Flushed cheeks
Home Treatments for Mild Fevers
In the case of mild fevers, it is ideal to let it run its course. The best thing to do is to help ease the discomfort that occurs at this time. High temperature in children will automatically return to normal after the virus causing infections is completely eliminated from the body.
Here are a few methods by which you can help soothe the discomfort that your child is experiencing during a fever.
- At regular intervals, keep feeding them light fluids like clear water, diluted lemon or fruit juices, etc. This will ensure that they remain hydrated, since high temperatures can cause dehydration.
- Make sure to dress them in light clothing so that it doesn’t absorb more heat.
- To help them sleep, you can give them medication in recommended dosages that will help lower the temperature and induce sleep.